Latest news & views

Farming Fails: Attempt 2

I crawled out of the fetal position, shook off my frustration, drank some jasmine tea, prayed a little prayer of perseverance, and dived into mission farming cooperative, take two. Early 2015. The group chose to stick with the familiar and plant maize again, rather than embark on a new crop.

What did we do differently this time? Essentially, 3 things:

  • We got brutal. Remember, in attempt 1, farmers with far flung farms failed to bring their produce to the central store- transport was too costly and tricky. This time, we set a boundary of 5km. Any farmers with land beyond the boundary had to rent land close by, or leave the group. Rough, I know. We whittled down to just 7 farmers.

  • Secure good seeds. This time round, we approached a big company ourselves. I got seed samples early, planted them in little boxes and tested the germination rate. I made the company sign an agreement to compensate us if their seeds failed to germinate as well as their sample.

  • Simple training No need to sit looking at diagrams on a blackboard. We just got some rope, some hoes, some seeds and went out and practiced measuring spacing between seeds, between rows, and seed depth. Easy. We emphasized the main thing was working together- planting together, committing to bring the crop for collective storage and sale.


  •  The results? 

    Well, we got a brilliant seed deal, that’s for sure. The correct hybrid variety seeds arrived on time, they germinated perfectly. We bargained a great price. No complaints there. But when it came to the crunch, would our farmers bring their produce for collective sale?

    *failed computer game sound effect*

    Nick faithfully brought his maize- and brought a lot of it, having decided to experiment with upscaling his farming hobby. He brought 20 sacks. Another member, Margaret brought one plump sack. What about the others? It was hard to get a clear answer. Transporting produce was no longer a factor. But ultimately, farmers were still tempted by short term benefits- immediate food, and immediate sale in small amounts to go towards household needs, school fees. Its understandable. But the farmers who sold it immediately got 400 Shillings (20 NZ cents) per Kg. We stored Nick and Margaret’s maize for four months, and sold it for 800 Shillings per Kg. Thats a huge difference in profit margin!

    The ultimate sinking realization from attempt 2:

    If the goal is making better profits for farmers don’t farm something that can be eaten, or sold easily on the local market like beans, maize, or millet. Its just too tempting to sell it early, even if it compromises the groups whole plan. Go for something that is not eaten in bulk locally. Something a bit pricier, sold elsewhere in bulk to other parts of Uganda, Kenya, or beyond. Such as:  chili peppers, ginger, onions.

    Next installment: attempt 3.

    5 thoughts on “Farming Fails: Attempt 2

    1. I love to read of your practical ways and dealings with all the trading and care and rules and boundaries. it is all so carefully thought out.
      thank you
      There are lots of lessons in all you do for those of us who are “at home’ it is important to be alert to what is happening Bless you for your writing

    2. Wow! I love your perseverance. If you stick with this for another few years, imagine the impact on both yourselves and the community. Your lessons can be applied elsewhere too.
      Thanks for sharing so honestly, but well done for keeping on, keeping on. I look forward to the reading the next instalment

    3. I like your courage to try new ideas to see the lives of farmers improved. I’m sure these lessons have not been wasted.

      1. It is great to hear that things don’t always work out as we’d hope in cross-cultural mission… just like in life and mission back home!

    Comments are closed.