Latest news & views

Mission Partners Shares A Normal Day in Papua New Guinea

Margaret Poynton recently moved to a new location and new role in Papua New Guinea. She serves in the Women and Children's' Ministry in Dogura. Here she shares what her daily routine looks like.

It's over three full weeks since I've been to town. It's 4:00 am and I've been up for a while. There was a full moon so it's an easy 15 minute walk down the hill to the village where the Bishop's dinghy is waiting. Out of the darkness young men appear to help push it into the water. The outboard motor is checked - all good!

By about 5:00 am we're knee deep in water as we climb aboard and set off to the east, watching the glorious rising of the sun. It’s calm and peaceful and I nearly doze off but am mindful of the ocean just over the side so I take in the scenery as we travel.

It's now daylight and there are several dugout canoes with a solitary fisherman out on the water. Out of the corner of my eye a silver glimmer lands at our feet. He's quickly scooped up and breakfast is returned to the sea. A moment later there's excitement. We've slowed right down and are among about a dozen dolphins frolicking around the boat!

All too soon we beach at Awaiama at around 7:30. The roadside market stall has a kettle boiling over a fire for anyone who wants a cuppa with fresh doughnuts.

We wait a few minutes before calling in to see the local priest and his wife. She is already cutting the grass with a long bush knife.

Our transport arrives and all four of us climb aboard and we wind our way up the mountain through some fairly dense bush which lies between Alotau and the North coast. Twenty minutes later and the vista changes almost magically around us and the beautiful views of the harbor appear. The sheer drop is now on my side of the vehicle and we're on the downward run to the coast.

A full 5 hours after leaving home we finally arrive in town. A morning with the Mothers Union is followed by an inexpensive BBQ lunch and then off to the bank, then shopping for supplies and an ice block to quench the thirst afterwards. We finally arrive at tonight's accommodation in the late afternoon and, a quick nap later, we have dinner and an early night before doing it all in reverse tomorrow.

“Anina, Umap, Awara” - Goodnight.