Mission Internships 2023
NZCMS and Bishopdale College
NZCMS and Bishopdale Theological College (BTC) are partnering to offer people of all ages an opportunity to learn, grow and be discipled in intercultural skills right here in Aotearoa New Zealand (Level 5) and oversees (Level 6).
- Immerse yourself in intercultural contexts in New Zealand and overseas.
- Receive coaching and mentoring from experienced missionaries.
- Develop a deeper understanding of God’s transforming work in the world.
- Be equipped with practical skills for intercultural ministry.
- Gain a qualification from an accredited institution.
- Deepen your faith as you experience
Level 5 Diploma in Christian Studies (NZDipCS)
Students who complete a New Zealand based intercultural focused internship with NZCMS and Bishopdale College, will gain a Diploma in Christian Studies (NZDipCS) in leadership, through Laidlaw College. Students who are accepted for a Level 5 internship will study full-time for one year in which half of the credits come through the internship placement hours in an intercultural context in New Zealand. Our internship placements are done mainly through local churches here in NZ that are intercultural in their mission focus.
Level 6 Diploma in Christian Studies (NZDipCS)
Students with a Level 5 diploma (or equivalent) can go on to complete a level 6 intercultural focused internship with Bishopdale College and NZCMS. They will complete some of their internship hours in an intercultural context in NZ, under a dynamic local church, and the rest in a two or three month cross-cultural placement oversees, over the NZ summer months. Working alongside experienced missionaries will enable interns to gain a long-term perspective on mission, despite only being there short-term. Students will study full-time for one year in which half of the credits come through the internship placement hours and the other half from advanced theological and biblical studies. Students will gain a Level 6 Diploma in Christian Leadership (Missions) from Bishopdale College.
- 1 or 2 years of full-time study, which includes the practical internship time and assessments directly linked to your internship context.
- Option to complete a Level 5 and/or 6 Diploma in Christian Studies.
- Placements for both diplomas will be individually tailored to suit each intern’s situation and circumstances. If not based in Nelson, the intern will be invited to attend on-site classes approximately once a month. Other classes will be via Zoom.
- Coaching and mentoring for the year by experienced missionaries.
- Cost per year: student fees $6,300*. In some circumstances scholarships and government funding could be available.
- Course on offer for New Zealand residents only.
Find out More
Contact our Internship Supervisor Alice Kinyua
+ 64 027 436 5786
Awatere, Nelson. Migrant Workers
An intern could gain significant cross-cultural and ministry experience. Vineyard workers receive pastoral care, advocacy with employers to protect their rights and assistance with all sorts of issues, as well as participating and leading in Sunday worship.
Victory Community Anglican Church
Located in the most economically challenged area of Nelson, Victory is also the most culturally diverse church in the Nelson Anglican Diocese. The church has intentionally embraced a call to embrace multi-culturalism. A significant group connected to the church are Chin people from Myanmar.
An intern could participate in a wide variety of work to continue building a genuinely outreaching and multi-cultural community focused on Jesus.