Offering specialist introductory mission trips for seniors.
This year's 'Golden Oldies' trip to Fiji is coming up in August. It's an opportunity to put your gifts and experience to work as you meet with locals and engage in a variety of mission projects.
Staying at an orphanage we visit schools offering second-chance education for students from squatter settlements, a small health/emergency centre and maternity hospital, an old people’s home in the WW2 barracks, a prison, remote villages existing by subsistence farming, cyclone-impacted villages, and more.
The trip will:
• Be fully escorted with experienced leaders
• Be based in Suva, Fiji
• Will run for 12-days, 9th - 20th August 2016
• Be interdenominational, including seniors from throughout NZ
The team is hosted by the wonderful families of the St John’s Bible College and St Christopher’s Orphanage. We will take you to see and experience the missions the Church is involved around Suva. Also see ongoing mission projects being supported by the Golden Oldies, including the underresourced hospital, a sanitation project in a remote village and a kindergarten established in a church.
At the end of the mission the team run a ‘Workshops for Life’ day which offer a range of topics using the Golden Oldies skills and life experiences. These have been well received by the Fijian community in previous years. Workshops have included crafts, small business set-ups, property maintenance, health clinics and Sunday school teaching. Then to finish off the trip we will take you for two nights at a tourist
resort. This gives us time for a bit of ‘R and R’ and reflection for what we've experienced before we return to NZ.
Applications close 29 April 2016
BE QUICK! LIMITED POSITIONS AVAILABLE
For more info visit www.goldenoldiesmission.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also be interested in these related posts:
- https://www.nzcms.org.nz/final-reflections-from-fiji/Final reflections from FijiPosted on by Graeme MitchellHere are some reflections from Graeme Mitchell on the recent Golden Oldies mission encounter in Fiji. The full article, along with many photos, […] https://www.nzcms.org.nz/final-reflections-from-fiji/Read more
- https://www.nzcms.org.nz/short-term-mission-further-reading/Short-term Mission – further readingPosted on by JoAs a follow up to our issue of Intermission about ‘short-term mission’ here’s some useful online articles that capture some of the pitfalls […] https://www.nzcms.org.nz/short-term-mission-further-reading/Read more
- https://www.nzcms.org.nz/golden-oldies-2017/Golden Oldies 2017Posted on by Graeme MitchellThe next Golden Oldies encounter trip is coming up in September. For over six years Graeme and Jane Mitchell have offered specialised […] https://www.nzcms.org.nz/golden-oldies-2017/Read more
- https://www.nzcms.org.nz/samoan-kiwis-in-the-philippines/Samoan Kiwis in the PhilippinesPosted on by Dianne BayleyWe are in mourning: The Kiwi-Samoan team from Christchurch has left us! We all enjoyed the team, led by Watari Maina and […] https://www.nzcms.org.nz/samoan-kiwis-in-the-philippines/Read more